June 26, 2009

First Look: SL Dashboard

When I checked the transaction history for the store alt, I got an invite to test the new SL Dashboard. The first impression is graphically appealing and reasonable fast.

The single elements can not be moved around as one would expect. Also the opened/closed setting is not persistant between sessions.

What I like is the direct integration of Xstreet SL under "Merchant Tools". What I dislike is that the Transaction History takes a lot more screen real estate.

If it would be possible to permanently delete elements and move elements it could actually quite useful.

If you want to test the dashboard yourself, but did not get an invite so far, simply add /my/ to the URL or click here: https://secure-web2.secondlife.com/my/

2 comments:

Gwyneth Llewelyn said...

You're fantastic :) After all, the "hidden link" was so easy to figure out... haha.

This actually does look reasonably well. A sort of "Facebook light" for Second Life. Not too complex, not too clunky, in a light, uncluttered way. I was expecting far worse! (that's how I trust LL... haha)

Granted, the first time it loads, it takes a bit of time (too much AJAX!), but after that, it's quite fast.

All in all, a great first experience, which should also help to promote things like events, interesting places to visit, and where to shop.

Oh, and I'm really very very glad to have a Web-based interface to my online friends... again. After almost two years of patiently waiting, I was despairing for the lack of such a tool...

Peter Stindberg said...

Gwyneth, the friends list was always available on your account page. A direct link to just the list is available at http://secondlife.com/community/friends-inner.php.

And in case you use the iGoogle homepage, I also wrote a gadget for iGoogle that shows the friends list: iGoogle gadget link.

In fact I have customized my iGoogle page so that it is (almost) a SL dashboard itself.