March 02, 2009

Plus d'images - moins de blahblah (English post)

Many years ago I was driving a car late at night through France, and I urgently needed some upbeat music to keep me awake (that was before every car had a CD player - yes, I'm that old). Unfortunately, all the stations seemed to have talkshows on - whenever I found something with music, as soon as it ended there were people talking without end. Finally I found a station that played a good song. And another good song. And yet another good song. And then came the jingle "Radio something - plus de musique, moins de blahblah" - more music, less chitchat. It brought me safely to the border, from where on my known stations took me home.

I am interested in SL fashion a lot, and I read many fashion blogs and metafeeds. However the output rate of all those blogs is massive - a day without monitoring the feeds leaves you with 100-200 unread posts or more. A few weeks ago I used Yahoo Pipes to rinse, clean, sift and sanitize the fashion feeds so I get a dupechecked and filtered result. That was tremendous help and brought down the daily posts to ~30.

Over the weekend, I refined my process further, and now have a complex pipeset that still rinses, cleans, filters and dupechecks the feeds, but now only shows the images from the posts! Except for the very few designers whose blogs I follow seperately, what interests me from the fashion feeds are the images. If I like something, I click through to the original post to see what the reviewer wrote, and to see what stores are actually featured.

So, here we go - please feel free to use and clone the pipes, or to simply subscribe to the resulting feeds:
  1. 7 sanitized and dupechecked fashion megafeeds, including the text: webpage, RSS feed
  2. The same 7 feeds, but images only: webpage, RSS feed
  3. Freebies and Dollarbies listed on Xstreet SL and SLUniverse/SLShopper: webpage, RSS feed
Enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, so that's the secret of a fashionable man :D Geekness employed for the sake of fashion! Good.

Nissa Nightfire said...

Peter -- this is an excellent tool! Thanks for sharing it with us :) I often need to just scan pictures to target what I'm going to read -- so I love the idea. I have a pretty good idea of whose posts I will want to click thru to read the text -- but, for the rest I do rely on the pictures -- and I'm sure lots of other folks do too.

@ Dande -- don't you know that geekness is the new sexy? :)

Anonymous said...

Geeky is tres chic and sexy, I agree, and this tool.. j'adore, thank you so much Peter

Serene Fairey said...

THANK YOU!!! smooches

Zippora Zabelin said...

Oh THANK you!!! This was even comprehensible for a (mostly) not so geeky kitty. I found the words "RSS feed" and clicked them :D

Serene Fairey said...

I linked to both of your pipes on my site at http://sltransfusion.blogspot.com/ ... thanks! I have a question though at the top it says you filter out "certain unwated content"? ???

Peter Stindberg said...

Oh, easy. You can "clone" the pipe and make your own copy of it and change the filtering criteria. I personally filtered out anything skin and hair related, as I am not interested in those subjects.

Thinking about it.... maybe I should put them in again and only filter them out in my personal copy.

Nissa Nightfire said...

YES -- after all, it isn't a question of what YOU want, is it? :)

Serene Fairey said...

filtering out hair and skin, does that mean it filters out any post that includes hair and skin? and what fashion feeds did you use for your source material? (I've never used or heard of these "pipes" before so i'm sounding nooby.)

Peter Stindberg said...

The last update of the pipe enabled the hair/skin posts again - I filter them out for my "personal pipe" now.