March 17, 2009

Linden Lab and the blocked IM-to-Email

So there is big fuzz about the Linden Lab mailservers being blocked by the SPAM protection real-time-blacklist spamhaus.org - and of course the usual suspects try to blame it all on Linden Lab. And while it seems some configuration options on the LL mailservers might indeed be set different to avoid such problems, for me the real problem is with spamhaus.org

I had the dubious pleasure to deal with spamhaus.org in the past, and it cost me lots of time and energy and in the end a whole mailserver had to be moved to a different IP address. Spamhaus is known to be quite trigger happy and in their self-righteousness try to "educate" (read: coerce) mail service providers. Just search Google for "spamhaus blackmail" and you will find many more hits than a credible service should get.

Realtime blacklists are an efficient method to prevent the distribution of spam. But with my past experience, and with the reports from others, I can only discourage people to use the services of spamhaus.org. There are other services around, for example spamcop.net which relies on manual tagging of spam by other users.

But Linden Lab is NOT to blame for this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered why my email was so empty yesterday.. i thought i was no longer loved..LOL
And I like the new blog template!

Uccie Poultry said...

I have two objects that report data to me weekly within one hour of each other. The e-mail from one reached me. The e-mail from the other didn't. That data is now lost. :::shakes her fist at the Lab:::

Unknown said...

I had the same problems with the Google Mail spam filter, I didnt notice it until I created a filter/label for the emails coming from *@im.agni.lindenlab.com, after that I got messages saying "Due to a filter you created, this message was not sent to Spam." I still get this message on those Labeled emails from time to time... So I might have thousands of emails from the grid that are lost in my Spam folder. >.<