July 13, 2009

When worlds collide

Yesterday I went to fix the internet access of a RL acquaintance and hooked up his new roommate to his ISDN telephone connection. While I was busy with the hardware, the roommate and I had a little smalltalk and suddenly she disclosed she has a talent for languages and works as translator for 5 languages, and intends to learn Arabic next.

I literally had to bite my tongue to suppress the reflex of offering her a job with my Second Life company Babel Translations. That was such a weird moment, where the worlds really overlapped and almost became indistinguishable. What she told me fit so well into my concept. It felt so normal and natural to talk with her about a business opportunity.

What would have happened had I not stopped myself in time? She would have assumed I run a RL translation business. She might have even been interested in the job offer, and then the explaining would have become awkward. On the other hand, who knows, maybe she does even know SL? For all I know she might be a well known Fashion Blogger or content creator.

Nevertheless that was one of the most bizarre moments regarding SL I ever had. Did you encounter colliding worlds as well?

3 comments:

Zippora Zabelin said...

Oh, that happens quite regularly to me.
Past weekend we had a family celebration. We danced until 1am and it got quite late after that. My brother in law commented that he'd never seen me partying and flirting like that and said something like "wow, what happens to you after midnight?!" And I almost replied "You don't even know what I'm doing online past midnight!" I could swallow that just in time :D

But your example is really interesting... what would happen if you'd expend your translating agency to rl indeed? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am constantly amazed at the ways things in RL affirm and encourage my continued explorations of SL. Don't let synchronicity pass you by! what's the worse that could have happened if you had told her about your SL venture?

London Spengler said...

I talk a lot at RL about what I do at SL (but NOT all that I do at SL .-p) and the people I meet there (but NOT all about us, too!).

That way things get pretty messed, up to the point of accesing my blog to download a picture at somebody's computer, and then cleaning the browser data to avoid people finding about such blog *sighs*.

I definitly can relate with Zippora's phrase about midnight; the difference is my big mouth, that keep saying things like that to my closer RL ones ;-p