August 01, 2007

Graduation, Part 1

I told you they come in reverse order...

When you start in SL, you have a steep learning curve. However you don't REALIZE it is a steep learning curve, since everything is nice and interesting and SEEMS easy, and usually you find people who help you along. On of the first challenges is to model a decent outfit, other challenges are learning to use the controls etc.

I personally think there are many milestones in order to become a seasoned citizen, and one of these milestones is a clash with Prokofy Neva. I had my clash with her on June 17, after I read an article on the Second Life Insider which linked to a griefer group website. At that point, I have never heard of Prokofy before, but the linked article held so much hate and loathe for her that I fired an IM in Prok's direction simply asking "Why do the griefers hate you so much?".

I can very well imagine the smirk on the face of people who know Prokofy reading this. Of course I did not know who I talked to, and I only felt symphatetic for her. Her response, however, teached me better. Here's the "Best of...":

  • Prokofy Neva: um, you're one of them, and playing dumb, DER
  • Prokofy Neva: you must be one of them or from SA if you have to ask this question, retarde
  • Prokofy Neva: anyway who gives this link [...] is one of them, or a sympathizer
  • Prokofy Neva: the SL Insider sympathizes with griefers; they are rehabilitating plastic duck
  • Prokofy Neva: ERRR???? what a total fake! rolls eyes
I get a great chuckle every time I tell this story. So even though it seems fairly easy to get into an argument with Prokofy, I still consider it a graduating event for me :-)

6 comments:

Taran Rampersad said...

Doh! The 'feel sorry for Prok' trap... :-(

Nicholaz "The Mad Patcher" Beresford said...

I had a similar event. Not quite as drastic, but there was blog post from Prok about being spammed by objects named "... Linden" and you can't mute Lindens.

Someone on the JIRA noticed that through a quick collaboration the issue was open-source fixed and even quickly imported into the viewer.

I send Prok an short IM about it with a link, saything this will be fixed soon and while I didn't saved the exact reply it was something condescending like "ohhh I'm soo proud of being part of the wonderful JIRA" or something similar.

Lesson learned: Don't go near a cornered bulldog, not even with the best intent.

Anonymous said...

*still laughs...

You are right, I could add "a first clash with yellow parrot" as one of the levels in the game of second life.
Actually, dealing with Trollofy can be a game!
Invite the troll, which you are doing with this post, actually;
tease him, point of this part is to induce the whole lot of his writing by the least possible comment you can think of;
repeat the process untill you get bored;
stop feeding the troll, this come asw a reward, watching him talking with himself;
chasing the troll away, this one is the last level, and accordingly, the hardest.

Anonymous said...

Did anybody get to the last level already, without using the 'ban' cheat? =d

Anonymous said...

what's the last level?
is it legal?

Peter Stindberg said...

Good question. Probably not. Isn't everything which is truly avantgarde at least partially illegal?